Oh, spring!! I needed this spring so badly. For some reason winter went on and on for about three hundred years. I felt frozen through and wondered if I would never thaw again. And then one day, the sun came out, the snow melted away, and the warmth went right through into my bones.
One of my favorite parts of spring is the return of berry season. Yes, you can get berries year round, and my freezer is always full of blueberries, but spring berries are the best. The strawberries in this berries, quinoa, and kale salad are the perfect finishing touch, bringing in exactly enough sweet to this lovely spring salad.
The recipe makes a gigantic salad, enough for the whole family. There is a lot of protein between the quinoa, pumpkin seeds, chickpeas, and the cheese, but it would also be delicious with some grilled chicken on top. It’s wonderful on the side of the plate, but I love it as the main attraction.
What is your favorite way to use all these delicious spring berries?
- 4 cups chopped kale
- ½ lemon
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked according to package instructions and cooled
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup chickpeas
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp diced red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Squeeze lemon over kale and massage for a minute or two.
- Toss in remaining ingredients except avocado and combine.
- Add avocado last minute, right before serving.