The leaves are starting to turn, the air is getting cooler, and with fall each year there is an inevitable invasion. Soon the season of all things pumpkin will be descending, and I don’t know about you, but I couldn’t be happier about the impending pumpkin onslaught.
And why not? Pumpkins are not only delicious and great for carving; they also are incredibly packed with nutrition. There aren’t many better sources of vitamin A, and pumpkin also gives you a huge dose of vitamin C, vitamin E, riboflavin, potassium, and many other nutrients.
I adore pumpkin pie and could eat it every day. Unfortunately, the other ingredients in pie should really be eaten in moderation. I created this smoothie recipe as a way to enjoy the flavor of pumpkin pie as often as I want. All the great nutritional benefits of pumpkin, no regret!
Even my kids love it. And if you put the smoothie in sundae glasses and add a bendy straw, they mostly ignore the fact that it is green and suck it all down happily.
Please excuse the jammies and bedhead, it was breakfast after all.
What’s your favorite pumpkin flavored treat?
- 1-2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (Optional, this adds some texture some people don't like but it adds tons of nutrition! You can also substitute chia seeds.)
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sprinkle of ground cloves
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- Large handful of spinach
- ½ cup milk, plus more if need
- If your flaxseed is whole, throw in blender dry for a moment to grind it.
- Add all other ingredients and blend on high, adding more milk or other liquid as needed to loosen up the mix.
- Pour into a pretty glass and enjoy the taste of fall!